- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger root
- 3 cups carrots, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 medium butternut squash
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 large strips of zest from an organic orange
- Salt to taste
- Dash of dry sherry (optional)
- Dash of nutmeg
- Chopped fresh parsley or cilantro for garnish
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Scoop seeds out of the butternut squash half, and place cut side down onto a greased baking sheet. Bake 30-40 minutes, or until softened. Allow to cool, then scoop the squash flesh out of the skin using a large spoon and set aside. Discard skin.
- Heat coconut oil in a large pot, add the onion, 1/2 the garlic and 1/2 the ginger, and sauté, stirring, just until the onion is translucent. Add the carrots, stock & zest. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and boil gently until the vegetables are tender, about 20-30 minutes. Remove zest and discard.
- Add the remaining raw garlic and ginger, the nutmeg, and optional sherry. Purée the soup in batches in a blender or food processor.