- 1 cup packed baby spinach
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 medium turnip, chopped
- 1 (15 oz) can brown lentils, drained
- 6 oz leftover skinless chicken, shredded
- 6 cups (48 fluid oz) low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 tbsp mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine found in the Asian-foods aisle)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- Stack spinach leaves, roll, then slice into ribbons.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. When simmering, add onion, carrot, celery, and turnip. Cook until onion is translucent, about 4 minutes. Add lentils, chicken, stock, mirin, and bay leaves; stir to combine. Turn heat up to high and bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves. Stir in cayenne and spinach. Ladle into bowls.