Prep these low-carb tacos up to five days in advance for hassle-free eating.
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp chipotle chili powder
- 1 tbsp dried Mexican oregano leaves
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 3 lbs chuck roast, cut into 8 large chunks
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- In a small bowl, mix together the salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, oregano, and cloves. Dust the pieces of chuck roast with the spice mixture, making sure to coat all sides well.
- Melt the butter in a large frying or sauté pan over high heat. Add the beef in batches so that the pan isn’t overcrowded. Sear the beef for about 3 minutes per side, or until it develops a nice char. Transfer the cooked beef to a slow cooker and repeat with the remaining meat.
- Add the garlic and bay leaves to the beef in the slow cooker. Pour in the vinegar and lime juice. Cover, and cook for 4 hours on high, or until the beef falls apart when tested with a fork.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves. Then, working in the slow cooker, use two forks to shred the beef. Stir it in the accumulated juices.
- To make the jicama tortillas, place the jicama discs in a steamer basket over boiling water and steam for 3 minutes, or place them in a microwave-safe bowl with 2 tbsp water, cover, and microwave on high for 3 minutes. They’re finished when they become flexible. Let cool, then drain over paper towels. Top the jicama with the shredded beef and garnish with lime wedges, avocado, and cilantro.